We have been off to a fairly smooth start to the 2014-2015 school year. The eighth grade has transitioned well to LHS with the help of nearly 60 student leaders. Our student leaders came in on Tuesday, August 26 (their last day of summer vacation) for a couple of hours to go through a training with our Assistant Principal, Mr. McGrath. The student leaders then met with the eighth grade students on Wednesday, August 27 to run them through an orientation program before the building was full of students in grades 9-12. All indications are that the program was a success.
The biggest challenge so far this year has been dealing with student drop-off and pick-up. One afternoon, we opened the gates on Memorial Drive thinking it might help to alleviate some of the traffic problems. What we discovered was that it created problems for our neighbors in the center of town, so we decided to wait a little longer and take some more time to look at drop-off and pick-up. We continue to monitor the situation and are working with the Lunenburg Police Department and the Department of Public Works to prioritize student safety and analyze traffic patterns. We can’t stress enough the importance of pulling up as far as possible before dropping your student off in front of the Thomas C. Passios School. Dropping students off before that point creates a problem and has a tendency to back up traffic onto Massachusetts Avenue.
Our fall sports teams and the marching band have been practicing since late August and we have already had students audition for the school-wide play, The Odd Couple. We would love to have the community come out to support our students at games, activities, and performances. We will be making an effort to inform the community about events and the academic programs at LHS. We hope that by inviting the community to events at school, people will come to recognize why we are so proud of our students and why they are worthy of the support of the entire Lunenburg community.
Here is a list of some of the upcoming events:
Friday, September 12:
- Field Hockey vs. Tahanto at 3:30 pm – Marshall Park
- Boys Soccer vs. Gardner at 5:00 pm – Turf
- Football at Murdock at 7:00 pm – At Murdock HS
Monday, September 15:
- Boys Soccer vs. Tyngsboro at 7:00 pm – Turf
Wednesday, September 17:
- School Pictures for LHS – All Day
- Golf vs. Narragansett at 3:30 pm – Settler’s Crossing Golf Course
Thursday, September 18:
- Cross Country Meet vs. Tyngsboro at 3:30 pm – Track and Field
- Senior Parent College Planning Workshop – 5:00 – 6:00 pm at LHS
- Open House for LHS – 6:00 – 8:00 pm
Friday, September 19:
- Senior Parent College Planning Workshop at 8:15-9:15 am, LHS lib
- Field Hockey vs. Littleton at 3:30 pm – Marshall Park
- Girls Soccer vs. Fitchburg at 3:30 pm – Turf
- Football vs. Narragansett at 7:00 pm - Turf
We hope to see you at some of our events, supporting our students.
Brian Spadafino, LHS Principal