Two Week Look Ahead - March 16, 2015
Good morning. We are two thirds of the way through the school year, now that spring sports begin today. Third term ends on April 3rd. Between the end of the winter sports season and the beginning of spring sports, we have had a Dodgeball tournament and a 3 on 3 basketball tournament. Students and faculty were involved in both tournaments and fun was had by all. The spring sports practice schedule is listed below. Hopefully, the weather will warm and we can get out on the fields, as soon as possible.
- 2:45 to 4:15 Boys Track, Girls Track
- 4:30 to 6:00 Softball
- 6:15 to 8:00 Baseball
- 4:00 - 5:45 Girls Lacrosse
- 6:00 - 8:00 Boys Lacrosse
Scholarships for Seniors
Listed below are some of the scholarships that we have applications for in the guidance office. For a complete list, please see Mrs. Borneman. Please be advised, students need to actually apply for scholarships in order to have a chance at getting a scholarship. The deadline to apply for these scholarships is April 27th.
- Red Pine Scholarship – Senior who has achieved academic excellence, and Need Based.
- Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship – Senior who has achieved academic excellence, and Need Based.
- New England of Technology – Senior enrolling in NEIT
- Yawkey Scholarship – Senior who has achieved academic excellence, and Need Based.
- American Legion – Appreciation of the U.S. Constitution.
- Chris Antonelli Scholarship – Students pursuing special education.
- Mark Bavis Scholarship – Need Based
- Sons of Italy – Children/Grandchildren of Members
- Daughter of the American Revolution – Outstanding Academic Achievements.
- GE – Reagan Scholarship – Students who embody the Characteristics of President Reagan.
- Greater Worcester Community Foundation – Any Senior who lives in Worcester County.
- Henry David Thoreau – seniors interested in environmental studies.
- College of Holy Cross – seniors with strong Latin/Greek background who are majoring in classics at Holy Cross.
- North Central Mass Basketball – Seniors who have participated in Basketball
- Rebekah Memorial Scholarship – Any Senior furthering their education.
- Mass Restaurant Association Educational Foundation – Seniors who are pursuing Food service or Hospitality.
- Women’s Club – seniors pursuing Education/teaching. Seniors with Italian Heritage.
- Friend of Nashoba Valley Medical Center – Any Senior entering the medical field.
- Tim Stanley – Engineering.
- Mass Association of Women in law enforcement – Any senior girl entering the field of law enforcement.
- Fitchburg pilots Association – Any Senior entering aviation field.
- Rob Roy Academy – Cosmetology.
- Paul L’Ecuyer Scholarship – Art.
- Chris Maki – Well rounded Senior both in and out of the Classroom.
- LHS Alumni – Senior whose parents attended and graduated from LHS.
- Laurelwood Garden Club – Horticulture.
- Kevin Szocik Scholarship – Student Athlete who participated in at least 2 sports per year for minimum of 2 years, and possesses qualities of strong leadership, perseverance with a strong work ethic.
- Blanche Lancey – Senior who will be attending Fitchburg State University majoring in education.
• Grade 8 ELA
- April 8th – Rdg Comp (1)
- April 9th – Rdg Comp (2)
- May 14th – Mth (1)
- May 15th – Mth (2)
- May 21st – STE (1)
- May 22nd – STE (2)
- March 31st – Rdg Comp (1&2)
- April 1st – Rdg Comp (3)
- April 2nd – Composition (A&B)
- May 19th – (1)
- May 20th – (2)
- June 8th – (1)
- June 9th – (2)
Senior Department Awards
Senior department awards are given out by classroom teachers. It is roughly the same format as the underclassmen awards ceremony at the end of each year. Parents will be notified by mail if their student is getting an award. The senior department awards ceremony will be Monday, May 18th at 7:45 am.
Senior Community Awards
This awards ceremony is held each spring after the graduation rehearsal. This is a community, scholarship awards ceremony. Only students receiving a scholarship or athletic department award will be recognized. Parents are notified in advance. All seniors are strongly encouraged to attend. The community awards ceremony is June 4th at 7 pm.
8th Grade News
Progress reports are going home today for 8th grade students only!
We will be holding a meeting for 8th grade parents and guardians to review the high school registration process and highlight what LHS has to offer during a student’s high school career. This meeting will be on March 25th at 6:30 pm in the auditorium.
AP bills will be sent home with students this week. Payment is due on April 3rd.
April 6th is the last day for Juniors to register for the May 2nd SAT, which is offered at Lunenburg High School.
April 9th, is the NACAC college fair in Boston. Permission slips will be going out to Juniors this week for the field trip.