The first semester is coming to an end on Friday, January 23. Students received their second semester schedules last week and we are ready for a strong finish to the 2014-2015 school year. I do want to highlight some recent events and draw your attention to some upcoming events that may be of interest to the entire Lunenburg community.
Mr. Mike’s in Lunenburg, a part of Global Companies LLC, a subsidiary of ExxonMobil, recently presented Lunenburg High School with a $500 Educational Alliance Grant. The grant will be used to supplement the Lunenburg STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) curriculum initiatives to better prepare Lunenburg students for successful participation in the 21st century’s global economy. Lunenburg High School is very proud of the accomplishments of our students. Mr. Mike’s is a valuable partner in our educational community and contributes greatly to the successes of Lunenburg students. The $500 grant will be used to purchase a Vex robot and some accessories for Mr. Belair’s Robotics class. Thank you, Mr. Mike’s for supporting Lunenburg High School!
Pictured below, Jason Booth and Lee McDonald work together on their robot. Jake Degrace intently works on his robot.
On Monday, January 12, Mr. DiPerri held his 5th Annual Alumni Critique for his Advanced Studio Art and Advanced Placement Art classes. The alumni came in and offered valuable insight and suggestions on how to improve the students’ work. The following alumni attended the critique:
Josh Falk (1997)
- Art Institute of Phoenix and Fitchburg State College (Design, Communications)
- Boston-based Mixed Media Artist(photo, painting, design, sculpt, build....maker of things)
- Co-Founder of the artist collective Project SF (www.projectsf.com) 2000-present
- Co-owner of Studio Fresh (www.studiofreshboston.com). Studio Fresh is a creative services studio that specializes in large scale - hand painted - murals, art projects and signage
Kristen DiPerri (2007)
- UMass Dartmouth (Graphic Design)
- Currently pursuing masters degree at Southern Connecticut State University
- New Haven, CT-based Graphic Designer
- Has designed four books, numerous brochures, banners, posters, and brand identities for companies and individuals in CT, MA, and NY
Meghan Basque (2014)
- UMass Amherst
Jenna Kapp (2014)
- UMass Lowell
Kristen Levasseur (2014)
- UMass Amherst
Caitlin Mitchell (2014)
- UMass Lowell
Thank you to our graduates for coming back to LHS and lending a hand to our students.
On Tuesday, February 3, our students will be participating in a Career Fair at LHS. Close to 40 presenters are expected to be involved in up to four, thirty minute sessions. Kim Martin and Katie Mcguire (PTO representatives from LHS) have been integral in reaching out to community members and getting support for this event. Thanks to all of the community members who will give up a part of their morning to speak to our students about their profession!
On Thursday, February 12, LHS will host one of its most long-standing, cherished traditions when the curtain goes up on the 49th Annual Competitive Class Plays. Each year, the sophomore, junior, and senior classes perform one-act plays of varying time period and genre. This year, the freshmen class will be involved in the class plays, but not part of the competition. The freshmen class will put on a ten minute play to expose them to what it is like being in front of an audience. The Competitive Class Plays will begin at 6:30 pm. It is sure to be an exceptional night!
Brian Spadafino, Principal